Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Wilderness Reflections


Alaska offers a variety of wild animals, hence people call the bush they live in The Wilderness. I have been recently informed that I don't exactly live in the wilderness, since we have a kind of road that leads to our camp, but since it gets so cold the car won't start, the propane liquifies and the generator quits, I'd say it's still pretty wild. Sometimes when I visit our outhouse I feel as if something is watching me. Our outhouse is all of a shack with a hole in it, facing the woods, so the likelihood is there. Take into the fact that our friendly neighborhood trapper told us he saw wolf prints outside our gate (our driveway is a mile long, so it's still a bit down the road), it's enough to make your heart beat a little faster when the need to pee presents itself at five a.m. So there I was, at the outhouse, during the wee hours of the dark night, when my headlamp caught two eyes staring back at me somewhere beyond the spruce trees. Luckily for me I was already on the toilet, because you can imagine what I did next. Apparently wolves are more afraid of humans than we are them, but in my case I beg to differ. I was sure I was staring into the eyes of a serious throat-bite. But as it turns out, it was only Fred, the pet dog of our neighbor, taking his nightly stroll...